Welcome to 2011!!!! Been soul searching for my purpose and path. I am going to do some exploring of my personal interests via this blog this year. I hope some of my posts will be of interest to any of you who may follow my blog. I am hoping to put together who I am - Reinventing Tiare. As I am new at this, I will try my best to list sources of information as best as I can and include helpful links. The Hawaiian language includes many different punctuation marks and accents not including on the average computer so please pardon these imperfections along the way.
This is my jumping off point. I came across this passage on a Hawaiian Spirituality site:
'OKUPU - Meditation and the Principles of Hawaiian Spirituality
Ho'omau I Ka Nohona - Perpetuating ancestral ways
We honor tradition when we perpetuate it - when we bring the best of the past forward, then work creatively within the dynamic flow of tradition, with sensitivity, respect, and knowledge of what has come before. A living tradition welcomes appropriate innovation. To preserve ancestral ways is merely an attempt to halt the flow of change; but change will come, and it is up to us to guide change with aloha, whatever our heritage or worldview.
The song E Mau Ana Ka Ha'aheo says:
Me na mea 'oi loa Using the very best things
Mai na wa ma mua From times past
E holomua kakou i keia ao Let us move forward in tis age
Ua hiki mai ka wana'ao The dawn has indeed arrived
No ka ho'ola For revitalization
A me ka ho'ola hou And reawakening
That is indeed the goal - to perpetuate the traditions passed down to us from na kupuna, while embracing the creative potential of the present moment.
Quoted from the website: www.okupu.com/thepath.html
On my Christmas visit to my to the Big Island of Hawaii I got to shop at this great local store in Honoka'a town, Taro Patch Gifts, where my Mom lives. I picked up some great local artwork.
Found these great poster size prints signed and number by the artist.
This print is titled - Hula Kahiko / Kane I ~ Male Ancient Hula
Hula Kahiko - often defined as hula composed prior to 1893 - ancient hula accompanied by chant and traditional instruments.
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hula)
This next print is titled Hula Kahiko / Ho'opa'a
Ho'opa'a as defined from www.kaimi.org/halau.htm, explains it referring to a person (in this case Wahine/Woman) who learned oli (chant) and mele (dance) and is now ready to lead others in its performance.
I think they will look great on my wall as a set like this:
Here is the information about the artist Elly Tepper from the back of one of the prints.
I also found these beautiful cards done by another local artist Susan Kobzev.
Left image
Right image
Found these two screen prints while organizing my vast collection of "stuff". The two prints are screened on what maybe a burlap type fabric. No artist name on them. The were given to me by one of my uncles. They may have been made by a friend of his. Seems to be done with silkscreens.
Kane fishing with net.
Warriors paddling a double hull sailing canoe.
This next piece of art is done with mixed media by Carol D'Angelo, who was my Fashion Sketching class instructor in 2000 at Honolulu Community College. I purchased it from her from an exhibit currently on display in the lobby of the building I work in. Her husband is also an artist. Check out their website: doidangeloartworks.com. Carol is currently the professor and curator of the costume collection at the University of Hawaii, Manoa campus.
Found this great paper back book at Savers Thrift Store in Honolulu at the Dillingham location recently and am going to share a few of the images here. It was something like $1.99. I couldn't believe it.
Here is the cover.
Wahine surfer
Sailing canoe
Another wahine surfer image
I really like the graphic nature of the artist's style.
Going in a different direction now with my interest in fashion. I love to collect fabrics, books, and sew. Here are some recent finds from Savers Thrift Store. I am very excited about up-cycling or re-purposing clothing. I have done this since I was eleven years old or so. Now is has a name to it - just did it before out of necessity or creatively with friends.
The brand is Iolani. Local brand been around since the 1950's. Really like the print. The waist line is a wide elastic with a zipper in the back. The skirt is almost floor length. I'm thinking a short to mid length skirt, maybe trim some other item with the left over fabric. $3.99
Town & Country Surf Shop label beach type shorts for $3.99 at Saver. I love orange. I collect 'local' flavor clothing both contemporary and vintage for style inspiration.
A hui hou ~ Until we meet again!
Dani
What beautiful art! And I love that skirt - the fabric print is so fun. :) Happy New Year!
ReplyDelete