Good morning world.... I had an appointment this morning for a referral for possible bariatric surgery. Last week when I scheduled the appointment I was curious then over the weekend decided I can do this on my own. I kept the appointment to to get a second opinion on my status and figured it would be worth it to get some info anyway. As it turns out, after closely reviewing my recent lab work, I show low iron, am pre-diabetic and have been recommended to do a sleep apnea test. Yikes.
Take a deep breath Dani. The weather is fowl here today - a see vog, explains why my chest is tight.
Reading the doctors notes explains that if you try to lose weight on your own you have a 1% chance of both losing it and keeping it off. Not the best news. With weekly support groups for life - odds increase to 25%. OK. The info then goes on to break down the percentages with the different surgeries. The gastric bypass with 80% success rate, gastric sleeve with 70-75% and an adjustable band at 60%. And all this will get me down not to normal weight but halfway there. Slightly depressing news.
Now adding in my asthma factor and prednisone use - I think that makes it much less then 1% on my own. Not impossible. Not exactly what I wanted to know.
All and all this doctor definitely recommends me for the bariatric surgery list. Got some blood work done to check vitamin levels. Will be waiting on the appointment list for the sleep apnea test to happen with in the next two months.
I have questions regarding if I manage to lose some weight while waiting on the surgery list and lower my BMI (which is 39.8 now) if I will still qualify knowing that it is statistically gonna come back anyway. I still have multiple health issues related to the weight any how. This sucks and is not how I imagined going forward with this blog.
I am currently working on a 1200 calorie a day eating plan with no more than 30% fat daily. Today is day for of this. My starting weight was 217.8lbs. Gonna walk 10 minute pieces 2 to 3 times daily to start. Yippy!
Aloha for now, D
Hi Dani,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to stop by and wish you luck as you begin your journey to better health. I see that you are taking prednisone; oh how I feel for you - I had to take it over 10 years ago, 80 mg a day, and it nearly killed me before I got off of it. Can't imagine living with the effects of it, but like you say, it's what you have to do TO live.
I like that you are taking small steps, like walking for 10 minutes several times a day. Everything will add up to success! Good luck - I'll check back later to see how you're doing!
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I am new to all this - used to just reading others blogs - I enjoy them so much I thought I'd join in. I really enjoy yours. Hope to hear from you again soon. Have a great day.
ReplyDeleteBonjour Dani! Congratulations on finding the courage to begin your new healthy way of life. The first major hurdle is the decision to do it. You are there! Baby steps, one day at a time. Just remember, that if you take one step back, forgive yourself! You can take an extra step tomorrow. Sending blessings of great health and success to you ~ ox, Chelle
ReplyDelete