Operation Possible
Goal: To be the first female paddler to cross the Molokai Channel from Kaluakoi to Hawaii Kai solo rudderless. As far as I have researched, this feat has not been done yet. Don't need to be the fastest, just need to be the first! My father was one of the first to do this in a Tahitian style one man canoe in ~ 1978. He planted this seed in my head way back then.
Difficult Level: Extreme
Obsticles to Overcome: Asthma, Mental Disorders (ADHD, Depression, Cyclothymic Disorder, Weightloss, No Aukahi rudderless canoe, Lack of funding
Tools Available: Medications, Therapist, Dietary Plan - Lap Band, dietitian, Naia Iki one man canoe (has a rudder - going to find out if I can train on it if I remove the rudder as a 170 lbs goal - it is not made for this usage, we shall find out), coaching and paddling six man at Lanikai Canoe Club starting today, access to the best coaches and equipment in the world, have ocean!
Potential Team/Support Group: Coaches - Uncle Gale & Ray, Support - Nikki, Aulii, Back Up support - Dad, Coach Dave, Bruce, John Foti, Luke @ Kamanu Composites
The Vessel
![]() | |
| Canoe of choice - Aukahi Rudderless - by Kamanu Composites - $4250, http://www.kamanucomposites.com/aukahi |
The Challenge
![]() |
| 10x Women's winner Lauren Spaulding 2013 race - picture courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/kalanakilaokalahui |
Lauren is the fastest woman paddler on earth. She has won 10 Molokai Solo races in a row. She raced this year in a Scorpius one man. I am not by any means trying to beat her - cause no one can. Just want to do this race as the first woman - rudderless. As far as I know - this feat has not yet been accomplished, even by Lauren. Not everyone has a crazy notion of accomplishing this goal. I hope it stays this way until I can do it!!!! I don't need to be the fastest, just the first!!!
Inspiration
Today is my Day 1, ground zero, starting out point for this very personal challenge. I have always wanted to do this and decided that now is the time. I had hoped to be the first women to paddle the channel on a one man canoe - that challenge was taken by Sonia Lambert and Loretta Toth a while back on man man canoes with rudders back in the '90's. A huge step for paddling, specifically for women. Very inspirational. They are both good friends of mine whom I respect immensely. Much time has pasted since then and many men and women have stepped up to the challenge and crossed the Kaiwi Channel. I have paddled it 10+ in a six man team, iron steering it all the way across in 1999. I have raced in the one man relay with a team of 3 once and with one other partner once before. This is an extreme sport and not for the weak. I have paddled most of my life - since age 11, which is longer than most women since I started as young as you could the first year they opened up the girls division. My paddling career, so to speak, began as the first women started to paddle across the channel in Na Wahine O Ke Kai matching the then - men's only race course. I have been inspired and motivated ever since. I have been held back by my severe asthma and lack of ability to train consistently enough to be strong enough to attempt this in the best physical shape. I have had my highs and lows in paddling. I excel at steering. I have much experience doing and watching with 2 parents who excel immensely in paddling and surfing as well as many other water sports. You could say they are over achievers. My extended family are all involved in water sports too. I come from a long genealogy of water people on multiple family lines. I grew up being groomed to do this. I am an only child who feels like I have greatly disappointed by parents and myself not being able to reach the heights that my parents have. My father is one of the most skillful waterman around. My mother was the only female surfer in the cult classic surf movie Endless Summer filmed and noted.
Anyway, I am at a turning point in my life where something has got to give. I am teetering at my highest weight and starting to recovery physically from a life time a asthma medications. I am working through depression related and unrelated to my asthma and medications. I feel I am pretty much at rock bottom. I am financial broke, mentally broke. I see this goal as a way to, so to speak, rise out of the ashes and soar like a newly hatched butterfly. I am older but not too old. I have been told and seen women in my paddling world do their best in their 40's and 50's. I am not married and do not have any children, I do not see this changing anytime soon. I need a serious, but doable goal. I choose this one now. Deep inside I fell this is what I was meant to accomplish in my life. It is the something special for me. This is a very serious, life changing task for me. I want it. I don't have all the parts in order just yet but I know if I work hard enough - things will come together. I believe.
I will be documenting my journey - this is one place I will do this. I am going to try and take pistures along the way and video. Today I weigh in at 198lbs, 44.5% body fat. I will start consuming approximately 1000 calories to start with 35% carbs, 35% protein & 30% fats. I will start walk/running on my thread mill for 30 minutes 5x weekly this week and attend all six man paddling practices this week, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday - I am an assistant coach and hope to jump in at practices as well. And the journey begins...I feel great.....



No comments:
Post a Comment